Moving can be stressful no matter how small or how big your business is. The most important thing is to minimize the negative impact moving can have on your business productivity.
Perfect Timing Moving can help you plan your office move efficiently and smoothly as possible through our professional in-house moving team and this comprehensive office moving tips and checklist.
Step 1: What should you consider before moving your office?
Before you move your business, ask yourself these questions:
- Is it convenient for your new business?
- Are the facility and location affordable?
- Above all, Are your customers, vendors, and employees able to access it?
- Are you able to attract the right talent at the location you choose?
Announce the move
Your employees are an integral part of making your business succeed. You cannot overlook their comfort. Your office relocation should be announced at least three months in advance. Communication with staff members is crucial.
Examine your commercial lease
Complex commercial leases can prove confusing. You should still read it to understand the terms and conditions. You don’t want any unpleasant surprises in your new commercial lease.
Step 2: Plan your organization and logistics
As soon as possible, start creating a plan to minimize disruptions to your business operations during the move. Talk to your core team members and make to-do lists. Identify the most important points that must be organized, harmonised, and physically moved.
Set the budget
- Analyse and understand your financial resources to make a business move.
- Set a budget for moving services.
- Find out if you can save money buying packing supplies from a moving company or by purchasing them yourself.
- To cover unexpected costs associated with hiring services, ensure you have enough money in your budget.
- Reduce or avoid downtime. Yes, you should always try to complete your move in one day.
Create a visual inventory
Start your planning by making a visual inventory of the space and then writing it down. You can quickly start the planning process by moving through the space. Also, take a visual inventory of all the items that need to be moved into a new place.
- Determine how much inventory is required to move the product.
- Take into account the large furniture and office equipment and determine which items should be moved first.
- Take important files, manuals, and information about each workstation.
- Know that your new office may require the assembly of the cubicle panels.
- Plan strategically for what you will do with your office equipment like computers, projectors, and wall monitors.
Notify your customers, suppliers, and other key people
- Always make sure to place a professional sign at your old location.
- Inform your customers where to find you and what they can expect after your business moves.
- Send address change cards to your clients, suppliers, and customers.
- Add your business information to your company’s site.
Step 3: Pack and prepare for the move
Replace the old with the new
Strategically plan what you can leave in your old office and not need in your new one. Moving is an opportunity for growth. Focus on moving smaller volumes to save money and time.
- You can be innovative and increase your business reach.
- You can replace old office furniture such as chairs and desks.
- Moving older furniture may be less expensive than buying new furniture.
- Old equipment might need additional maintenance. If this is the case, you can opt for new models.
Track inventory movements with spreadsheets
Use a spreadsheet to list everything you intend to move. A spreadsheet can:
- Help you organize everything before you make any moves.
- Allow you to determine the type and quantity of packing materials that are required for each move.
- Help determine how big a vehicle you need and how long it will take.
Pack in advance
To save time when moving, pack everything ahead of time. Start packing items that you don’t use for a while, such as old sheets and files. To make packing easier, you can divide the work into groups.
Set a time frame and a date for the move
To schedule your move smoothly, you should always establish a realistic timeline. Take into consideration the following:
- What time and what tasks do you have before you move out of your old office.
- Let customers and employees know about the move.
- This information should be clearly stated on your website.
- Set a time frame for your move. Avoid moving during your busiest period.
- Schedule tasks and assign employees wherever possible.
- Assist moving companies and other service providers with transfer utilities well in advance. This usually takes 1-2 weeks.
- Check that your business coverage doesn’t lapse during relocation.
Get the right packing supplies
It is essential to have the correct packing supplies. You must ensure that you have the right supplies to complete the packing job.
- Numerous sizes of boxes
- Bubble wrap rolls, packing paper
- Dispensers and packing tape
- Sharpie pens, labels
- Furniture movers and sliders
Hire a moving company
- Get different quotes and references available to commercial moving companies.
- Hire the best moving company to reduce stress.
- Book a truck well in advance.
- Have a plan B in place for when you move.
Protect your valuables by packing the right items carefully. It can be costly to replace valuables.
- Bubble wrap, paper wraps, and packing peanuts can be used to protect your valuable items.
- Use different sizes of boxes. For example, heavy-duty boxes can be used to transport heavy items or breakable.
- To pack your items, buy small, medium, and large boxes that are easy to transport.
- Label with custom colour codes to identify the contents of the bag and the location they should be placed in the new place.
- You can also pack paper, which is a cost-effective option.
- Bubble wrap electronics such as monitors, LEDs or computers, and other electronic equipment.
- Use packing tape for sealing and labelling the contents of your box.
- Also, Use moving blankets and stretched-wrapping to prevent dust and dings
Use networks and communication systems to coordinate your move
You will need to plan for the transfer of your networks and communication systems, as well as the move of your physical equipment.
- Minimize downtime by planning and coordinating all your activities before you move.
- Contact your service providers for information about your company’s network, Internet/Intranet connectivity, and installing CCTV or the intercom system,
- Before you move into your new office, make sure that you have the necessary time clocks, security, and card entry systems installed.
Hire an office cleaning company
Cleaning services for offices will not only clean out the space you’re leaving behind but will also ensure that everything is spotless in your new office. They will clean up all mess, organize your equipment and make your office ready to use in no time.
Step 4: The office moving day
Leave the work to the professionals
- To avoid disruption from “Moving Day”, some companies will make a weekend move.
- If you’re buying packing supplies, make sure to have a list of everything that is needed, including tapes, labels, and markers.
- When you are not in a rush or have an offshore client meeting, plan your move day ahead.
- If you’re moving during a busy day, plan for your move to be at a reasonable hour.
- You should ensure that your phone system is available during normal business hours to help you on the day of the move.
Step 5: What to do after you move
Moving to a new office is not an easy task. Here are some things you should remember after a successful move.
- Celebrate your office relocation with your employees and thank them for their assistance in the relocation process.
- Double-check the termination of an old lease. Before you move to a new location, it is important to read the lease terms.
- For the old premises, collect keycards, keys, and passes.
- Install the IT systems. These systems will be installed by your movers if they have the technical expertise. If they don’t, they will refer you to the right company.
- Make sure to update your website with current information. It is crucial that your new address is well-known among your stakeholders.
Hiring the right moving company is crucial to your office move’s success
Now you should have an idea of how many things your business must consider when moving. Communication and proper planning are key factors to ensure a smooth move. To make your move smooth and efficient, follow the designated timelines and spreadsheets. The most important thing is to minimize any negative impact on your business productivity.
And it bears repeating that hiring a professional moving company is very important to a successful, stress-free move. At Perfect Timing Moving, we specialize in office moves and have done countless of them, so our process is streamlined and the team is highly-experienced in them. For an efficient office move, call us today at (905) 424-4818 to get your process started.